Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Another Round of Food

Here is my last collection of food photo's I have taken while here in China. There are many other things I ate but didn't get photo's of. I'll just have to save them for my next trip here! I apologize for some of the photos having light and others without. Sometimes they don't come out just right or I have to race to get a photo before it's eaten.

Shark fin soup. I have to say I was expecting something quite grand in flavor and taste since it's so rare.  The shark fin itself is kinda hard to see since it's opaque, almost fleshy. It's really has no flavor and is similar to eating a rubber band but not as chewy. The picture above tasted mostly of roasted garlic.

Snake soup. The meat is "just like chicken" which is what I have always heard. Once the skin is removed, there are a shitload of bones you have to work through to get to the meat but it's worth it as the snake has great flavor. This soup was called "Dragon and Phoenix." Snake=dragon, chicken=phoenix.

This dish is native to the Xi'An area. The bread has no flavor minus a couple of sesame seeds baked into it. You make little sandwiches out of them with the jalapenos and spicy chili paste. There good but only if you can handle spice.

This here is one of the best soups I have had in China. It consists of shaved pork, mushrooms, noodles, jalapenos and some other type of pepper similar to a peperoncini. The soup is tangy yet spicy.

Duck stomach and liver with tea eggs. It is sitting in a small pool of black vinegar which you use for dipping. The liver was delicious but the stomach was a bit chewy.

Fried string beans with chili, garlic, and onion! Awesome flavor!

Pork intestines in chili oil. I just can't bring myself to like intestine. It's not the thought of it, just the chewy texture and faint smell of, well, intestines.

Tofu in spicy chili oil. Once again, good if you can take the heat.

Duck paw with chili's. I don't care for duck paw myself because there is very little meat. The flavor is fine but you have to work to get anything.

Small baby prawns with peanuts, green pepper, and garlic. Here in China, they leave the head and shell on almost all of their shrimp since they enjoy the process of crunching the shells.

Duck liver and aspic. This was done perfectly but I would have liked a little sea salt. They provided a lite vinegar to dip them in instead.

Duck paw(removed from the bone) and duck liver.

The above dish is my most hated dish in China! All it is is scrambled eggs and tomatoes but I hate it. They always leave all the skin on the tomatoes and everything is mixed together looking like vomit. It also has no flavor what so ever. Andi loves it! :P

This restaurant close to Andi's place in Hefei serves these dishes above in super hot little crocks. The crocks are always filled with rice and then whatever you order to be put on top. Since the crocks are so hot, the rice always hardens and becomes crunchy. It's really good when you mix everything together. I had beef, potatoes, and bok choy with pickled green beans on the side. They also do one with
 twice cooked pork that is amazing!

Fried pork meatballs with 3 dipping sauces. The first sauce was a spicy chili paste, the second very similar to a pear chutney and the last was a spice market blend. Anyone reading this and has worked at the Met-it's just like what we rubbed our pork ribs in.

Spicy potatoes. These things with be great in the morning with some scrambled eggs after a hard night of drinking! 

Shaved lamb with leeks, onion, and cilantro. If you like lamb, you'd love this dish. I will defiantly try to recreate this when I get back to the states.

Last but not least, a whole lamb on a spit. When we were in Beijing in the Olympic area, there was a tent that had all types of food inside from different areas. One section had this little guy rolling around and I had to get a photo of him. Tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment