Friday, February 7, 2014

The Aurora Borealis

Back in November of last year, I gave my notice at my job. Coming home that evening, someone on Facebook had posted a picture of the Northern Lights. It was something I had always wanted to see and at that moment I decided to start working on making it happen! While in Coldfoot, I made a new friend and traveling companion: Juno Kim. Juno is from Seoul, Korea and got away from her cubical lifestyle to become a full time traveler, writer, storyteller, and photographer. She also runs a website called Runaway Juno where she documents her travels, talks about the food she eats, has some AMAZING photos, and dives into several other subjects. Check her out, she does a great job! She took all of the photos I'm posting below as my camera just wasn't up to the task of taking good shots at night.

 Our first night we went to Wiseman, a small town 13 miles up from Coldfoot: Population 13. Our host was Jack, a full time resident who lives there with his mom, wife, and baby daughter. Juno did a great write up on him here. I'll do a post of Wiseman during the day shortly. 







Juno also got a great shot of the Milky Way. I was looking and looking for a shooting star and as soon as I looked the other direction........Juno saw one! :P

On our second night we stayed in camp where the lights gave us an even better show then before! 







If you remember earlier in one of my posts I had a photo of a monk near an outhouse. While we were staying in Coldfoot, 47 people from Thailand were also there, most of them Buddhist monks. While talking to them we discovered that they are considering building a temple/school up in Coldfoot. When the lights starting really getting active, they all came outside by us and started chanting. Above is a recording of them chanting while we were watching the lights and taking photos. 

1 comment:

  1. Amazing pictures. But you can see more colorful northern lights in December.
    Northern lights viewing times

    ReplyDelete