Saturday, July 14, 2012

Chef Ed Bilicki

I received a phone call today from a fellow chef who told me that a friend of ours was gone. Chef Ed Bilicki had had a massive heart attack and died last night. I was shocked. Didn't know what to say. My first thought was that he must have been yelling at someone on the line for screwing up something simple.

I instantly started thinking back to the times I worked with him, pulling out of my mind things I had completely forgotten. I remembered working at Kingfish Hall on Sunday mornings doing brunch while the jazz band played not 20 feet from where Chef was expediting. He would call out tickets to me, getting louder and louder, trying to shout over the band. After awhile he would get so exasperated, he'd throw his hands up and come around to yell at me on the line. He always hated that band!

I remembered Chef Ed bailing my ass out on the line Sunday nights when we would get super busy at Kingfish-me plating as fast as I could and him grilling and yelling orders to everyone.

I remembered visiting him in the restaurant he was working at in Florida and him yelling at one of his line cooks "Do I have to come back there and teach you how to cut bread!?!"

He would push you to strive for perfection, all the while teaching you as you went. His food knowledge was amazing and staggering at times. He could be a grumpy miserable bastard and you loved him for it. He would tell you his opinion whether you wanted to hear it or not.

I can't seem to get out of my head the last time I saw him. It was at my going away party in Boston. He had a beer in his hand and was standing outside the window in the rain smoking a cigarette and looking in at all of us all "creepy like". Classic Ed.

I owe a lot of where I am today and how I got there to him. He was a great Chef, mentor, and friend. He will be greatly missed.



14 comments:

  1. I went to high school with Ed. The creepy like observation was common there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ed was the man, i will miss his one of a kind personality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah he was Chris. I'll miss that personality as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Everybody,
    Ed was my first cousin and I was in Oriental, NC for the family reunion when he passed away. Guess what he was doing on Friday night when I last saw him? He was preparing and prepping for a huge family dinner for all of us on Saturday night. In his honor, we attempted to copy the way he would have prepared everything so we could honor him in this way on Saturday. We knew he was looking down on us and probably rolling his eyes as we actually had to look online on how to prepare some of the dishes. Thanks all for the kind words. That man sure loved his food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew Eddie when I was in the 6th grade. He was friends with my older sisters, they were freshmen in high school together. He was cute and charismatic. I was deeply saddened by the news. We lost a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that the picture you chose for this post was a tomato. Ed was certainly obsessed with his tomatoes! With the anniversary of his death approaching, I was drawn today to try to capture as much of "Ed" that was on the internet for Green and my parents. I came across this post. Thanks for the little snippet into Ed's life as a chef.

    -Heather (Bilicki) Hildebrandt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chef was a great guy and he sure loved his tomatoes! You'll be happy to know that out of all of my posts since I started this blog, his has been seen the most! 639 times!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am missing Ed today, and happened to stumble upon this post. It is so wonderful to see that he has touched other's lives in the same erie way that he touched mine. He was a great chef, loved his music, and helped me through times in a way that no one else was able to. Ed and I shared Ryan Adams concerts, quirky bosses, and too many salty dogs to count. I miss you my dear friend. I still can't bring myself to take his number out of my phone...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still have his number in my phone as well........

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started my culinary career under Chef Ed
    I just happened to Google his name and came across this. Thank you for sharing. So sorry to hear about his death.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is sad to hear. I worked with Chef Ed from 05-07 and learned so much from him. I miss our smoke break talks and miss hearing him yell at people. Lol He definitely wasn't for everyone but I personally loved him and considered him to be an awesome feiend and mentor. I remember helping him with plating tomato 7 ways, like it was yesterday. And I'll never forget how excited he would get for new kitchen gadgets, like when he got a new herb vaporizer and the stemless martini glasses for his smoked salmon and tomato crustini.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I worked Chef Ed at Blue Zoo and no doubt was a power presence and creative mind that never settled for anything less than perfection.

    ReplyDelete