Friday, January 24, 2014

Anchorage

So I only had one full day in Anchorage as I arrived yesterday mid afternoon. By the time I got to the hotel, settled in, and grabbed the rental car the day was about done. My idea was to start fresh today bright and early however.........I neglected to take into consideration that right now Alaska gets very little sunlight. The sun doesn't rise till about 10 am and sets around 4:30 pm everyday. It never really gets more then 20% above the horizon either, so it always seems like sunrise......or sunset depending on how you look at it. Since starting early wasn't an option, I decided to grab some breakfast first.

I'm staying at a Comfort Inn here in Anchorage. As I left this morning, I felt that the hotel hallway had a very "Danny Torrance riding around on a hot wheel, come play with us forever" feel........

I stopped off at a little breakfast place called Snow City Cafe. Nothing special about it-blueberry pancake, reindeer sausage(strangely plastic in texture), and over easy eggs. I did however get something called a Sludge Cup-equal parts coffee and espresso! Kept me going most of the day!

It was recommended to me to take a drive 45 minutes out of town toward the town of Girdwood. The drive was beautiful as it follows along Cook Inlet which branches off into what is called Turnagain Arm. 



 Along the way these type of signs pop up every few miles.

 And you can see why. Small little avalanches are all over the road.

I love this picture!!

Along the entire stretch of drive, a railroad track follows along the inlet. I stopped off at one point and was treated to the machine that makes railroad tracks!



 Last but not least, a small video I took when I stopped along the road. Super windy today as you can hear!!


2 comments:

  1. Great vacation!!! I haven't been on here in a bit but I'll be stopping by ore often. Like the creepy hallway shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! I haven't been able to post much in awhile because my job has consumed me......but I quit it and now I'm enjoying life!! I have a ton more photo's coming soon! Add your email in the top right corner and you'll get anything I post.

    ReplyDelete