Saturday, June 18, 2011

Arizona Beers (And One Alaskan)

(From left to right: Wapiti Amber Ale, Old Monkey Shine, Grand Canyon Sunset Amber Ale, Grand Canyon Horseshoe Bend Pale Ale, Grand Canyon American Pilsner, and Alaskan Summer)

While I was at the Grand Canyon a couple of weeks ago, I stopped into a store and was able to create my own six pack of local beers. I picked up five from Arizona and one from Alaska(didn't even know they made beer!). I started off with Wapiti Amber Ale made by the Mogollon Brewing Company in Flagstaff. They have some pretty neat labels and names for all there beers but as for flavor, they fall short. It has a fruity smell, slightly floral but hardly any taste at all. Next up was Old Monkey Shine English Style Ale from Nimbus Brewing Company out of Tucson. This was the best of the bunch, light with carmel flavor and almost a root beer like smell. Similar to a Guinness with a nice head but not heavy at all. They have a great site which really goes into detail about all there beers. I will defiantly be on the lookout to try more of there stuff! I then jumped into three different varieties by The Grand Canyon Brewing Company out of Williams, Arizona. First was Sunset Amber Ale with an IPA smell, good color, light and malty. Next was American Pilsner, slightly fruity aroma more similar to a hefeweizen. I could drink several of these on a nice hot day. Last was Horseshoe Bend Pale Ale, also similar to an IPA with flower notes in the smell but a little bitter on the after taste. Of all three, American Pilsner was the best. Finally, I ended with the Kolsch Style Ale from the Alaskan Brewing Company in Juneau. I can't say I thought much of the beer as it had no flavor and smelled to me like V-8 juice. They do however make many other types, one being a smoked porter that sounds good. If you can find it, pick up some of the Nimbus beer. You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment